Sunday marked my first SUCCESSFUL week of Sober September. Here is a day-by-day recap. Sorry if it's boring read. Sober people don't seem to get into as many crazy hijinks. Go figure, right?
Day 1:
This day was marked by a hang over and a Labor Day movie and dinner with James' mom and step-dad. The hang over sucked, but after wishing me a "Happy Sober September," as Carol is a avid reader of this blog, she asked me if I was pregnant. I found this very amusing. To be fair, James and I terrorize his family with the threat of a kid before marriage and I have a case of Baby Fever. Anyway, I am not pregnant. . .not yet, that is. . .
Day 2:
Easy day and I didn't want a drink. Work had no drama and after my workout at home I just sipped on diet soda and mineral water. However, I find being sober at night VERY BORING. I need to find a hobby. By 9 pm I have had my fill of Netflix, re-reading my favorite books and the internet.
Day 3:
I want a drink. I have a craving for a cocktail and it would be amazing on a hot night like this. It's Wednesday and Hump Day and it should be celebrated with a libation! Instead it's celebrated with lime flavored mineral water. Sigh.
Day 4:
Today was hard for me and took a bit of will power After work I did errand which included going to Walmart to try on a dress my boss beautifully wore to work that day. It was on sale for $5 and looked like it would be a perfect dress for James' sister's engagement party. When I tried it on, however, I looked awful. I felt wide and thick and upon removing it from my body I starred at my reflection for a moment. My stomach looked paunchy and dimpled. My bra dipped and cut into my flesh grossly. My back fat looked like it was trying to form a roll. While I rationally realized that I didn't look that bad, emotionally I felt I looked hideous. All I wanted to do after that was go home and drink until I didn't care anymore. Knowing that this wasn't an option, I coped by laying across James' lap and telling him my feelings. This helped. My cat Chaka also helped by jumping on my lap and curling up. It took a couple hours of feeling down, but feeling awful eventually went away. No drinks were drank and I won the night.
Day 5:
Friday night usually is a drinking night for me so it felt so strange to not drink. I didn't though which was good. Again, I was bored. Again, I drank my lime flavored mineral water. God, I really need to find a new, captivating book to read or something! Nights seem too long nowadays.
Day 6:
Part of my day was doing errands. One stop on this journey was Total Wine. I had to buy a bottle of wine for a friend's husband's birthday. I walked down the aisles looking at all the prettily packaged bottles, but I wasn't in any sort of need to drink. James bought a bottle of strawberry flavored moonshine and I bought a Chilean bottle of Malbec. In the evening, I poured a glass of the moonshine for James. Some dribbled on my hand (mason jars may look adorable, but they are a pain in the ass to pour from). I almost and unthinkingly licked my hand. I caught myself in the nick of time. I resigned myself to sniffing it. James said it tasted great.
Day 7:
Lots of dreary housework and projects. I am working on a quilt to be part of a silent auction for the Alzheimer's Association. I need to complete it by the 20th. The name of the game tonight is to stay busy. I sure wouldn't mind a tasty, cold cocktail to make me forget this heat. None shall be had. Mineral water, please.
The best thing I have to say about this month so far is the lack of hangovers and bloating. I've always had a great deal of self discipline, so the fact that I can stick with it isn't surprising to me. Next week I will be around people drinking and may poise a challenge insomuch as I will be wanting to drink too. Luckily, I have good friends who will not pressure me. As you have probably guessed, I have replaced booze with mineral water. I have noticed that former alcoholics and people trying to lose weight seem to drink it. I am not a fan, but the bubbles and weird taste seem to at least keep my taste buds intrigued. I have read that it has health benefits, so I will continue to drink it.
Until next week, readers, cheers!
No comments:
Post a Comment