| Not a blue drink, but a damn fine snow cone in Hilo |
Fahrenheit. It makes me remember my favorite island libations that came in the form of an ice-cold Mai Tai or Blue Hawaiian. . .Oh! How about a Blue Mai Tai? Can you make one of those? Blue is the best color for a topical cocktail. There is just something magical about a blue drink. But, I digress. Sort of.
If it were just another day in another month I would have poured myself a rum-based drink try to forget the fact that my apartment air conditioner is sub par. I would slather on some SPF 100 and find myself a tiki themed outdoor bar.
Rum has been my go-to lately for cocktails. It's warming and rich taste mixes so well so many different bases. Orange juice to classic coke, it's all delicious.It's such a magically tropical drink that privates and wahines alike love its potent power.
![]() |
| Mr. Chesney in his blue chair. |
Besides the fun title, what struck my fancy about it was that one of the ingredients it called for is Elderflower liqueur. This mild and slightly floral alcohol is one I highly recommend you try. It's my favorite. It takes the bite of the harshness of gin and anything it's added to taste like a warm summer day in a meadow. If you have never tried it, I highly suggest you do. St. Germain is the most recognizable brand, but I bought Thatcher's Organic Elderflower. It's great and few dollars cheaper than St. Germain so BOOM! BUY IT!
This drink is easy to make and oh so light on the palette. It's not a girly drink by any means and a "light weight" would be able to handle one without a problem. It's a cocktail that is meant to be slipped ocean side.
![]() |
| "The Scallywag." When I make it with gin, I call it a "Wench" |
"The Scallywag"
- 1 1/2 oz. Blue Chair Bay White Rum
- 3/4 oz. St. Germain Elderflower liqueur
- 1/2 oz. fresh lime juice
- splash of simple syrup
- 2 oz. club soda
- 1 dash angostura bitters
As for an update with my Sober September:
I have been doing great with it. I haven't really been "craving" it as some people or an alcoholic might. While I have not necessarily had any temptation to drink, but I have had a couple of crappy days at work that made me want to rush home and make myself a drink. I didn't which was good. Instead, I just had to let my negative feelings burn themselves out with time. There may or may not have been a couple of pillows tossed off the couch and a cat toy kicked across the living room one night.
I have kept my vow to myself which has been extremely important to me.
My clothes are fitting much better and I feel better about my physical appearance. I haven't felt "puffy" one day this month. It's ridiculously funny how much bloat and weight drinking can put on you and how simply stopping can change that. A "beer belly" is a real thing!
Next Wednesday is the last day of Sober September. I will post a final recap then and some more insight.
Until then, cheers!


No comments:
Post a Comment