Sunday, May 4, 2014

P90X3 - Two Steps Forward, One Step Back

Greeting, my reader!

You may not remember me. I am the lady that said she'd post once a week and then didn't. That's right. I failed to keep my word! Also, I failed to keep healthy (for the most part).

Phase 1 of P90X3 went rather well. I drank a few times. Did all my work outs and got results! Yay! Then Day 31 - 90. . .not so much. More days than not I ate what I pleased and drink more than I should have. I didn't even bother with taking Day 60 measurements or photos. I "knew" it would only depress me. Overall, it wasn't a great 90 days dedicated to my health.

Today is day 91 - a day that is suppose to be happy and with a rockin' "before and after" photo. It is suppose to be a day where I tell you that you can do it and this is how I did it. It is suppose to be a day that I can say, "BOOM, Tony. It was BROUGHT!!!" It, however, is not.

I can say that I did EVERY ONE OF MY WORKOUTS!!! That is the only really positive thing I can say. I enjoy working out and 30 minutes a day was easy peasy for me. Even if I had to skip a day (like a long visit with grandma happened or weekday dinner with family after work), I was able to do a double on a Saturday or catch up on a Sunday, the 7th day, which is suppose to be a rest day. I gained muscle and strength and ended loosing a grand to total of:


1 pound.

Cue cricket noise.

I am not proud of this. I am upset that I couldn't discipline myself for a measly 90 days. I am a very discipline person at work, in my finances and most every other area of my life. I have reflected over the past several days where I went wrong and here is what I have come up with:

  • Alcohol - Oh, Demon Rum, you know what I like and what I like is you! I also like gin, sweet whiskey and tequila. Drinking is my Achilles heel. I can rationalize having a drink pretty much any day of the week and, for some reason, it's especially easy after a work out. Drinking more days than not during the week is a major pit fall of mine.
  • Back Pain and Injury -  In October, I attempted to do the Insanity workout. Big mistake for me. My body could not handle the high impact and intensity of the workout. I inherited my father's joints and have naturally bad balance. I ended up having to quite two weeks in due to a left foot and right should injuries and chronic lower back pain. During P90X3, I still had nagging lower back pain and injured my right shoulder again. There were days that I couldn't do my workout and where Advil didn't help. I ended up using alcohol to numb the pain and modifying my workouts to suit my limitations. I wasn't able to go "full out" for a significant amount of my 90 Day program.
  • Partner Choice - Like in love and business, having the right partner is the key to success. For this round of health and fitness renewal, my partner was my amazing boyfriend James. Unfortunately, while he was on board with the working out part (he done almost 100% of videos and only fell one week behind.), he was not the right choice for eating right. James wasn't ready and I didn't make him give up carbs and other treats. Did I complain and give him "mom face" - you betcha', but that didn't stop him from making poor eating choice or me from following along. (I have given myself "mom face" in the mirror when I made bad choices.) Having him as my partner made it OK for me to not be perfect as well. There wasn't any worry of judgment or accountability. I felt that I only had to be as good as my he was and that was a major down fall for me. You partner should encourage you to stay on track, not make it OK to fall off the wagon. You partner really should me more of an AA Sponsor.
  • "OK to Cheat" Mentality - If James had a pop tart, then I could have a cocktail. If he cheated, then it was OK for me to cheat.That was my overall mentality for these 90 Days. This mentality shows in my lack of results.
Much like Pharrell. . .Minus the hat. Or talent.
  • Too Content with Life -You might be telling yourself, "Poor little Nikki. She's too happy to lose weight. Boo-hoo." Well, folks, that is the ironic truth of the matter. Being in a healthy and supportive romantic relationship, having a job that you enjoy going to everyday and having friends and family who love you unconditionally really makes it hard to find a reason to change. I am already an overall healthy and fit person. I wear pants in the low single digits. I have no real reason to loose weight other than I don't like my reflection in the mirror or how my arms look in a tank top. It's hard to get motivated when so much is good in my life.
May 4, 2014 marks a reset for me. I have started my periodic "cleanse" of the Cabbage Soup Diet and will be ending it on Friday, a day short of it's usually 7 days. Saturday, May 10, 2014 marks the beginning of Round 2: P90X3 - Do it or Don't, There Isn't an In Between. 

 I leave you, reader, with this:

Today while James was getting though his much hated Pilates video, he said, "I'm still fat." To which I answers, "Whose fault is that?"

His reply,"Mine."

Who's fault is it that I did not succeed in this round of P90X3? 

It's my fault and no one else.

No comments:

Post a Comment